Re: PATCH: (on Alpha) emulating missing instructions

danielt@digi.com
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:11:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Thomas Sailer wrote:

> danielt@digi.com wrote:
>
> > If it doesn't it means the "no floats in kernel" rule has been
> > grossly broken. I don't see anything here that would prevent
> > the kernel from booting.
> >
> > /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/hamradio/soundmodem/gentbl.c:static const float fsk96_tx_coeff_4[32] = {
>
> You apparently didn't understand the code...
>
> This program is run during _KERNEL_BUILD_ and is normal user mode code.

Mea Culpa.
I was just looking through for anything that _might_ be an issue.
This was all I found.

Therefore, it means that it is possible to demote FP emulation
to module status or userspace (I would expect a module to be
the best bet short term, that would have the least impact on
current users).

--
Daniel Taylor      Senior Test Engineer     Digi International
danielt@digi.com                             Open systems win.