Re: PATCH: duplicate IP detection

Marc Merlin (marc_news@merlins.org)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:34:29 -0700

On ven, oct 15, 1999 at 05:06:53 -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
> Is there a userland program that can see if the IP is in use or not? Be
> nice to know if the IP is used before setting an IP on the nic.

We discussed that last time, and I think it was Roger who proposed a patch
to ifconfig so that it would send an ARP request first and complain if the
IP you're trying to set is already used.

We're left with the question as to whether ifconfig should by default
complain but put the IP anyway, or refuse to put the IP unless you give it
some --ignore-IP-conflict flag.
That approach is not incompatible with the kernel patch, and I believe that
both should be implemented.

Marc

Finger marc_f@merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information