Re: PATCH: (on Alpha) emulating missing instructions

Luke Deller (luked@cse.unsw.EDU.AU)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 17:08:45 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >Similarly the right answer for the Loki game is probably to build it with
> >different compiler options, not to stick some emulator in the kernel
>
> Sure agreed. But I think they had far more fun playing the game with the
> emulation in kernel space 8)). At least I would have more fun ;).

Yes we had more fun writing the emulation than playing the game ;) it's
still quite slow to emulate every load byte instruction! I hope that Loki
will soon release a recompiled binary for us pre-ev6 users.

Although I agree with Alan entirely for open-source code, we still have a
problem with binary-only products (such as Civilisation CTP). In such
situations emulation can be very useful (even if it's non-optimal).

Please let's not consider emulating in user land .. emulating in the kernel
is slow enough! ;)

BTW, for our alpha emulation patch, we were concerned about speed and not
security (woops) .. soon we'll post another patch to fix the security.

- Luke