Re: 3c509b problems.

Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:59:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Rok Papez wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Sometimes (1 time out of 30-40) initialization of my 3c509b card fails and
> dmesg reports the following errors:
>
> eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, BNC port, address 00 60 08 52 6d 2b, IRQ 10.
^^^
Let me guess. The card is actually on a TP wire, but is misdetected as
BNC.

And then no matter how hard it tries to send things on its BNC interface
it never reaches anyone :)

I normally get:
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address 00 60 08 62 8b d7, IRQ 10.
^^^^^^^
but I believe I have had this happen to me as well (once).

If the driver is loaded as a module you can tell it the transceiver type,
go visit:
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html

But I don't know if telling the driver which type also tells the card. Nor
do I know if it is the card that is confused or if it is only the driver.

/Urban