Re: Why is traffic shapper still in 2.3.x?

Andi Kleen (ak-uu@muc.de)
17 Oct 1999 19:26:43 +0200

greg@linuxpower.cx (Greg Maxwell) writes:

> Sergey Kubushin wrote:
>
> > I vote for ifconfig to be obsoleted by iproute. My next KSI Linux
> > distribution won't use ifconfig at all. I have not made a decision yet
> > whether to retain the ifconfig binary for compatibility reasons or remove
> > any trace of it outta the distribution, but chances are that it will be
> > removed at all...
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but I agree with this. I'm looking for
> an official word though.
>
> I'd make ifconfig a facny script that turns your ifconfig command into
> ip commands so that we could reduce the kernel interfaces at some point,
> I'd also have it warn that ifconfig is old, use ip. Or something along
> those lines...

The problem is that most people compile without CONFIG_RTNETLINK
ATM, and iproute2 needs rtnetlink. Before converting ifconfig into a
wrapper for ip you would need to teach ip to fall back to the old
ioctls for configuring basic things like ip addresses, and this would
not fit very well into the iproute2 structure.

I think it is better to keep them separated, and have the ugly
ioctl/setsockopt stuff in nettools and keep it functional as fallback
ad for compatibility.

Also, If rtnetlink was made a standard part of the network core (required
for full migration to ip2) lots of people would complain about the bloat.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.