repeatedly reading ipchains rules causes ppp trouble

bert hubert (ahu@casema.net)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:53:16 +0200

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 02:42:20AM -0700, BJerrick@easystreet.com wrote:

> I get no hanging if I don't invoke an X client called "xgauge"
> (homebrew); the one in question displays serial r/w rates, and reads
> /proc/tty/driver/serial every 500 millisecs. (I thought I had ruled
> out X clients as what was hitting this, but apparently I missed this.)

On a related note, I found that reading the relevant /proc files to get
ipchains accounting statistics cause my PPP transfer to halt. I read the
files once every second, all ftp transfers going on simply stopped. This
under 2.2.12.

I have not investigated this further.

Regards,

bert hubert.