Re: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> But I wonder why I put in the effort -- all of my work is thrown away when
> you accept random, tested-only-on-one-machine patches from anywhere, and
> then refuse to put in the tested, updated drivers.

Donald, your latest "tested" drivers have been a QA disaster, and you
should know it.

The reason your updated drivers don't get included in the latest kernels
are _very_ simple:

- you don't send me patches in a timely manner. There are drivers that
you haven't sent patches to me for several years, yet you maintain what
you call "stable" versions on your web page. Shades of ISDN, sometimes.

- very occasionally your new "stable" drivers won't even work on the two
or three machines I test on. This has sometimes meant that the eepro100
driver in particular has lagged behind a _lot_, for the simple reason
that newer drivers did not work at all for me.

The "not send timely patches" thing applies to the PCI code in question. I
have never EVER seen a patch from you to implement the PCI search
function. Not now, not a year ago, not EVER.

And then you complain when I apply patches that ARE sent to me? Get a
grip, Donald.

Linus