Re: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes

Martin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 03:24:25 +0200

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The other reason patches get ignored even from maintainers is if they
> obviously haven't been tracking the mainline at all. For example, I (and
> others) do occasional cleanups, where we've removed #ifdef's that test for
> linux-2.0, because too much baggage is just too much baggage. You're
> better off having two versions, than having one version that tries to do
> everything (see my pervious post on this issue from another angle; it's
> true of software as well as hardware).

I agree entierly with you such clutter should always remain in the
corresponding coders local CVS tree. Or just awk-ed away before sending
it out.. Oh yes there is even a BSD standard tool for this purpose
out there, which didn't get cloned in the FSF's fileutils.

(HINT HINT: for distro workers. It's really worth to have a close look
at the FreeBSD tree. There are small pieces there which one is missing
unter linux...)

Modern languages don't even have
any kind of provision for stuff like this (Java). Butt supposedly
I'm maybe the only one user complaining about too much support, too much
interfaces and such :-).

Have a nice afternoon...
--Marcin