Re: [OT] Re: Colour blindness & the Linux Kernel Version History

Towers, Tim (ttowers@MLE.CO.UK)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:36:55 +0100

Dear David,

Funny, I heard the opposite. - remembering back
to when the BBC Micro was released in the UK.
and the explanation of why it flew in the face
of conventional wisdom by providing white writing
on a black background. Vt100's, DOS windows and
linux terminals do likewise whilst X11/MS windows
have the reverse. I expect people want what they're
used to, and the easiest way to make a "window"
acceptible as the replacement of a piece of paper
is to make it look like one.

I find light writing on a dark background to
be easier.

Its cheaper to make books with black writing
because white ink is harder to make (It has
to be opaque, whereas black ink only has to
stain).

I blame xerox.

Tim