Re: BUG 2.3.23-pre5 locks up

Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:45:13 -0400

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 04:39:44AM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > > With a fairly standard .config, 2.3.23-pre5 locks up after a few minutes
> > > of usage.
> >
> > Some messages in the log I missed:
> >
> > Oct 21 03:27:25 chief kernel: kernel BUG at filemap.c:65!
> [snip]
>
> Impressive. I got something interesting quite near that place - in
> pagemap.h:102 (inode's page list being nonempty with i_nrpages==0).
> And it's a UP box - SMP races have nothing with it. -pre4. I'm trying to
> cactch it right now. _Very_ reproducible - as the matter of fact it hits
> before the sucker gets to spawning getty. init=/bin/sh is your friend ;-/

Yep, this looks like the exact same BUG() that happened with me as well
twice on 2.3.23pre4 (pagemap.h:102). SMP box. Both times it happened I
was compiling a kernel or the ALSA tree (with -j3). It definitely boots
up and works for a few minutes, though... Hmm. :)

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]