Re: [linux-kernel] mailing list properties

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:54:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 cspeare@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Don't know if this idea has been brought up before, but a lot of
> mailing lists make a habit of putting the name of the list in
> brackets in the subject, as I have done. This is a cool thing
> because it allows people to easily set up scripts to filter their
> mail into folders. Having about 4 mailing list subscriptions I
> find it a valuable feature. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

It is crap. For the following reasons:

- you can filter on the Sender: owner-linux-kernel@... header
- using your scheme you'll filter the message wrongly when a
message is being cross-posted to multiple lists.

For example, this is your filter:

[linux-kernel] --> put in linux-kernel
[linux-smp] --> put in linux-smp

Now a reply from linux-kernel to both lists has both mails
ending up in linux-kernel, because that one is caught first.

Another argument against is that [linux-kernel] takes away
14 characters from the subject field in my mail reader. This
is simply unacceptable (and completely unnecessary).

regards,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits, more ...

of people. That is its real strength.
--
work at:	http://www.reseau.nl/
home at:	http://www.nl.linux.org/~riel/