RE: [linux-kernel] mailing list properties

Jones D (djones2@glam.ac.uk)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:27:39 +0100

> > add these lines to ~/.procmailrc :
> >:0:
> > * ^Sender:.*owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> > linux-kernel
> If you have noticed most suggestions were procmail based.
> Looking at the mail
> headers I will be quite amuzed if the sender will be ever
> able to implement
> 'em. Working in _big_ corps has its downsides sometimes... ;-)

Indeed, a problem I also have here, as my mail goes through a
Microsoft exchange server. It's taken a while for me to figure
out the ideal rule(s) for filtering kml stuff into a folder.

First I tried trapping on sender==linux-kernel, which didn't
get all cases. (for example if someone cc'd linux-kernel)
Or as I noticed, some people send mail cc'd to other
list-forwarders.

Next I tried trapping on 'unsubscribe linux-kernel' in the body
for a while, which caught 99% of them, but that footer
doesn't seem to get added to mails with attachments, and
some others for some reason.

For those forced to use Outlook, instead of checking sender,
or having multiple rules, the best way I've found so far has
been to tell it to look for 'linux-kernel' in the headers,
which has got all of the kml messages since I applied it,
though I've not had any mails from anyone using anything
other than vger since I applied this rule.

Just my £0.02

regards,

Dave.