Re: mm and DMA devices

Garst R. Reese (kernel@kvack.org)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:24:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Has anyone looked at Zygo Blaxell's <uixjjji1@umail.furryterror.org>
> elegant proposal for handling allocations?
>
> http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9907_02/msg00702.html
>
> This looks like it will handle any possible alignment and addressing
> restrictions for any device on any architecture.

That doesn't work. You have to know what sort of memory the system will
need beforehand so the system can try to keep a pool of it around,
otherwise the amount of work required to free up a particular type of
memory is simply too much. The way the allocator currently stands, it
wouldn't be difficult at all to add an arbitrary number of additional
memory lists (say 1 per bit of significance above 24 bits). Practically,
I have to ask what the value in this is. Do you really need to allocate >
16 MB in the normal use of a bloody sound card?

-ben