Re: 2.2.13 ISDN funnies

Ilpo Ruotsalainen (lonewolf@iki.fi)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:16:37 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Karsten Keil wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 09:36:30PM +0300, Ilpo Ruotsalainen wrote:
>> Dunno if this is already reported (since I'm not on the list, too high
>> traffic volume for me), no mention of this problem in any 2.2.13 errata I
>> found at least. I'm getting this sequence of messages flooding
>> my kernel log on my poor 386/33 ISDN router:
>>
>> Oct 21 21:09:54 nightrunner kernel: isdn_ppp_skb_push:under 4 5
>> Oct 21 21:09:54 nightrunner kernel: isdn_ppp_skb_push:under 0 2
>> Oct 21 21:09:54 nightrunner kernel: isdn_ppp_skb_push:under 0 2
>>
>> The connection seems to work ok but floods this sequence _fast_ into the
>> logs so since the machine is on the trailing edge of tech it's too slow to
>> be usable. Kernel is vanilla 2.2.13, ISDN adapter is a Teles 16.0. Works
>> perfectly under 2.2.12 and as described under 2.2.13.
>
>Please recompile the utils, here are changes in the basic structs.
>(at least isdnctrl,ipppd)

Did, no bonus - still floods. Didn't really look like an util problem
anyway, rather like problem in the way the driver uses the syncppp layer
(at least to me, I'm no expert on this field though).

(Had some further test results on what triggered this here but read on...)

UGH. A look in the sources seems to suggest this is just a debugging
message someone didn't bother to hide behind some "debug" or "verbose"
variable but just left there to flood everyone's log files.

Could someone who understands the driver better look at isdn_ppp.c at line
1428 and say if this is just a stupid debug message left there to flood
the kernel log?

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/