Re: 2.2.13 ISDN funnies

Ilpo Ruotsalainen (lonewolf@iki.fi)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:31:42 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Karsten Keil wrote:

>OK, that was only my first guess, because you have to recompile i4l utils
>with 2.2.13, if not you run in trouble.

Hmmh, well the ones in Debian unstable seem to work quite fine (ie. exactly
as well as the recompiled ones).

>Yes, this message is not hide (but has only debug prio), because it
>should be not happen in normal cases (I looked trough the log of my syncppp
>machines and didn't found it).
>It seems here is a problem with some places which allocate skb with not
>enought headroom (old version was crashing in this case).
>Now we reallocate the needed headroom and print this message to find out
>the real reason.

If this is any help in finding the reason, the message sequence is reliably
triggered on small incoming TCP packets at least. Like this (nightrunner is
the ISDN machine, gunbuster is a machine elsewhere in the Internet):

nightrunner:$ nc -l -p 2000

gunbuster:$ echo foo|nc nightrunner.whatever.fi 2000
(nightrunner logs the sequence "under 0 2", "under 4 5", "under 0 2" here)

Switching the machines (ie. listening on the outside and sending from the
ISDN machine) no messages get logged. Card is Teles 16.0, HiSax driver,
using one channel only. ICMP doesn't seem to trigger it (tried pings of
64bytes, 10000bytes and 50000bytes, nothing in log). I'll try more stuff if
you think it's of any use, can provide more info about the configuration
too if it seems necessary. Just ask if you want me to try something or give
more info.

>> Could someone who understands the driver better look at isdn_ppp.c at line
>> 1428 and say if this is just a stupid debug message left there to flood
>> the kernel log?
>
>You can disable prio DEBUG in syslog.conf.

Actually I can't since I want some other messages that come on that
priority to really be logged, but perhaps I'll just comment this one and
recompile my kernel (argh darn, another 402min compile ;)

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/