Re: Behaviour of lseek and fseek with append mode.

Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:01:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, C Hanish Menon wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I already have identified the method you people have suggest. But I have a
> SMALL PROBLEM as specified in my earlier mail (which part I am placing below)
>
> i.e When I open a file in O_WRONLY|O_APPEND mode. Isn't it better that LSEEK
> fail a -VE offset rather than succedding and telling me that its positioned
> there and then Write ignoring it.

It did not fail! You performed a lseek and it worked. Therefore it did
not fail. If you had read from the file, you would have seen that
it reads from the new file-position. It is the rule of O_APPEND that
__all__ writes occur at the end of the file. That's what O_APPEND means.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).