Re: NFS 2.2.{12,13pre14,13}

micha@nats.informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 12:04:52 +0200

Jens Benecke:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 12:13:59AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> First, thanks a lot for answering.
>
> > > I have EXTREME problems with NFS under a mixture of 2.2.1{2..3}
> > > machines. First symptoms were that mount -at nfs would segfault or
> > > throw an oops. (I posted this here about a month ago.) Now, nothing
> > > oopses, everything mounts
> > What version of the knfsd are you using. Does 2.2.13ac mysteriously get a
> > lot more stable
>
> I haven't tried your kernel patches (yet). I was happy with a mixture of
> 2.2.12 (clients) and 2.2.13pre14 (servers) until I needed a recompile
> because of new hardware (network 10->100MBit upgrade), and that's where the
> problems started.

Hm, i had the same problems with a setup i installed at work (i'm at
home now, so i can't post more details). The problem we had was that
someone silently bought 100MBit hubs but didnt exchange the 10MBit
switch above all hubs. So this led not only into a communication
problem within the company but also between to machines doing udp.
All machines attached to 100MBit hubs happily blast out lots of
packages and unfortunately the udp-receiver was not under the same
hub. I dont know what happens inside udp/ip on linux but is it
possible that this bloody setup (i know its silly) leads to
timingproblems inside the linux-nfsd?

Regards,
Micha.

--
-- Michael Schulz
-- NatS (Natural Language Systems), Uni Hamburg