Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4661

iGRIN - Lennon (lennon@igrin.co.nz)
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:59:32 +1300

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com>
To: <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Cc: <ragnar@lightside.dhis.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 1999 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4661

> On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:
> >
> > From: Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <ragnar@lightside.dhis.org>
> > Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 15:36:30 +0200
> > Subject: 2.3.23: freezes and beeps
> >
> > UP, gcc 2.7.2.3, under no particular high load, once with a ppp
connection
> > going on, other when compiling, the computer froze and started to make a
> > continuous beeeeep.

I can be 100% sure there is SOMETHING wrong with the memory allocation in
2.2.23 :(
I have a Abit BX6 Rev Motherboard, 256Meg Ram and trying to compile a new
kernel the full way thu it will suddenly run out of memory
whilst doing it. ( I have to compile 1/2 the kernel and then start again to
make it all the way thru)
Also it happens whilst running X.. Suddenly runs out of memory :(

I cannot show /proc/memory or anything as it just freezes.. (saying VM:
something arather)

I've NEVER had any problems with any other kernels in the past.

This is really anoying in 2.3.23 apart from various spelling mistakes in the
kernel source code and alot of undefined symbols to load
modules

Thanks
Craig Whitmore
iGRIN Internet