Re: USB in Kernel and Sound Blaster Live liason

Ferdinand Prantl (Ferdinand.Prantl@ff.cuni.cz)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:47:04 +0200

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 02:10:07PM +0200, Trond Eivind Glomsr?d wrote:
> Wayne Pascoe <wayne@moneyworld.co.uk> writes:
>
> > 2. Does anyone have any pointers as to who, if anyone is currently
> > championing the cause of the Sound Blaster Live with Creative Labs?
>
> They work on it themselves.

Yes, now you can have module version 0.3 for kernels 2.0.36
and 2.2.10 compiled.
We will have sources (compiled core + some sources platform indep.
to be compiled in various versions of kernel) in the first q. 2000.

> Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get it. It doesn't even seem like
> they want to tell OpenSound how to do a binary-only driver...

It will not be open sourced completely but if it will work
I think I will not mind it... I think some source to be compiled
on various kernels will be enough for me. I did not say I like
this non-free model but what can I do with it ?

> > that might help get the soundblaster live going under kernels other
> > than 2.2.5 and 2.2.10... As it stands, you _have_ to recompile your
> > kernel down to 2.2.10 instead of being able to use the default
> > 2.2.12 that comes with RedHat 6.1.

You need not to downgrade to those kernels, simply use "-f" switch ;-)

Good luck

Ferda Prantl

--

"We are free only in our dreams. We need money for the rest of life." ---------------------------------- Ferdinand Prantl LVT FF UK e-mail: prantl@ff.cuni.cz www: http://www.ff.cuni.cz/~prantl ICQ: 36302930