RE: /proc/pci unknown devices

Bret Indrelee (bindrelee@sbs-cp.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:49:20 -0500

Jeff Garzik [mailto:jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com] wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Jones D (ISaCS) wrote:
> > > I believe Martin is working on a script to convert his
> pci.ids into a
> > > form that the kernel code understands..
> >
> > Oh, yuck. 35kbyte of static text tables in the kernel. And
> it will just
> > grow and grow...
> >
> > Someone please tell me this isnt the case.
>
> That isn't the case. :)
>
> The tables are marked with __initdata.

Even when marked with __initdata, doesn't it have to fit in the compressed
kernel file that LILO loads? People are already saying that file is reaching
the limit.

There is also the problem with PCI derivatives like cardbus and such, which
allow hot swapping. All of the sudden, you need those names on a dynamic
basis. I know that the current Linux driver design doesn't cover
hot-swapping, but I'm assuming that people will want to get there someday.

I really think it is a good idea to keep the kernel using just the numeric
values, let some userland utility convert the numbers to text.

-Bret

SBS Technologies, Connectivity Products
... solutions for real-time connectivity

Bret Indrelee, Engineer
SBS Technologies, Inc., Connectivity Products
1284 Corporate Center Drive, St. Paul MN 55121
Direct: (651) 905-4731
Main: (651) 905-4700 Fax: (651) 905-4701
E-mail: bindrelee@sbs-cp.com http://www.sbs.com