Re: (fwd) Re: Why Linux CRASHES when process overscome swap memory

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:42:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, M Sweger wrote:
> Francois THIEBOLT wrote:
> > Got students writting progs (beginners & pros...), one of them made a
> > test :
> >
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > #include <stdlib.h>
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> > char *mem;
> > const size_t TAILLE=1048576;
> >
> > while (1)
> > {
> > mem=(char *)malloc(TAILLE);
> > }
> > }
> >
> > Then linux start to allocate memory, then it uses memory swap and then
> > it crashes (even mouse isn't responding)...then Reset.
> >
> > Got a RHL 6.0 128MB RAM + 1x128MB swap partition...any clue ?
>
> Why does a car crash when you drive it into a wall? This is
> a classic "then don't do that" question.

There are situations, however, where you can't control all of your
users. Sounds like I should push to have my "OOM-killer" patch
integrated after all (with a few improvements).

FYI: that patch contains some code to select the "guilty" process
and kill it when the system runs out of memory and swap.

cheers,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits, more ...

of people. That is its real strength.
--
work at:	http://www.reseau.nl/
home at:	http://www.nl.linux.org/~riel/