Re: Half duplex serial support

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:49:10 -0400

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:54:02 +0100 (GMT)
From: Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX>

>> 1. The serial port will provide a flag field to indicate
>> its state, with the following states being defined:

> Most of this state (RX-TO-TX, RECEIVING, FULL-RX, etc.) should
> be implemented in the line discpline, since it's highly specific
> to the half-duplex transmission discpline.

However, the state as designed is basically generic to ANY half duplex
line discipline and, as a result, would be best implemented as a core
module for half duplex disciplines, with the individual disciplines
hooking into it.

That's fine, as long as all of this gunk isn't in each individual
low-level tty driver. The phrase "the serial port will provide" is what
set me off --- this is something that's specific to the line discpline
state management, not the serial driver. I think we're in violent
agreement; it was just the wording that made me worried.

- Ted