Re: PATCH: duplicate IP detection (new version)

Marc Merlin (marc_news@merlins.org)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:25:52 -0700

On mer, oct 27, 1999 at 11:46:54 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > A few comments about the patch here:
> > - I won't be upset if people want enable IMAYHAVEABROKENNETWORK. I've never
> > gotten my own ARP packets back, but if I were to, I'd like the patch to
> > tell me, even if I choose to comment the messages out later.
>
> Tell this only once please. And don't make it a config-option but a sysctl
> option please.

Agreed. For now, I will however wait to hear if this has a chance to make it
in the kernel or not before I do anymore coding :-)

On mer, oct 27, 1999 at 01:00:14 +0200, almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch wrote:
> What about staying within the traditional 80 columns ? E.g.
> Saw ARP from MAC 00:A0:CC:3C:40:DB (us) and IP 192.168.205.1 (us too)
> With the combinations us/not us, not us/us, and us/us too.

While I liked the verbosity, since it gave more details, I do like your idea
now. After all, for this to be truly effective, one should have a user space
daemon that reads syslog and displays the info in an X box. That user daemon
can indeed display more info without the kernel needing to be more verbose.

> People who can't draw the right conclusions from this aren't likely to
> find the problem anyway ;-)

I can also add a few more comments in the source, for people who don't
understand and look for where the message came from.

Marc

Finger marc_f@merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information