Re: aha152x: mount blank CD causes kernel panic.

Jim Woodward (jim@jim.southcom.com.au)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:41:00 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > This is not the expected behaviour. In fact, looking closer, the aha152x
> > driver seems to panic at the slightest excuse:
>
> Yep.

Ive used a 24X scsi cdrom and a IOMega Zip drive with my AVA-1515/1505
and havent noticed any problems with the aha152x driver I use under all
the 2.2.x kernels ive used.

Maybe i just havent bashed it hard enough, but I am using mine to run a
Seagate 767meg SCSI2 disk 24/7 for over a year without a hiccup on my main
dialup server, which handles email, web and proxy - gets a good hammering
on /usr and /var/spool.

> > Alan - I note you're currently digging at the aha152x driver. Could you look
> > at the error handling while you're at it, or do you want me to do it?
>
> Im currently working through the docs to look at fixing the hangs. Things
> like suprise state changes do appear wrongly handled and it dies instead
> of erroring the command and returning. Thats a seperate issue

I'd be intereste to see if some performance increases can be made with
this card/driver - I noticed what I'm using is very similar, although mine
(unsure if others are different) has a on-board bootable BIOS..

Regards, Jim.

--
my name   : Jim AJ Woodward
my realm  : http://www.jim.southcom.com.au