RE: oops with raid level 1/0

Tom Livingston (tsl@volition.org)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 02:27:07 -0700

Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> [discussions of OOPS with raid on raid deleted]
>
> I *really* need suggestions here. This is a system which is supposed to
> go production on Monday and I'm not feeling too good about this.

We discussed this last week, no? The bug has been reported and duplicated,
ana appears to only happen when using raid layered on top of raid.

While I appreciate your sense of urgency, I would suggest that (I would
think obviously) that you aren't going to production on monday, not with
this configuration. Last week I suggested using raid5 instead, which we
know works well in production (especially since your 1/0 configuration does
not offer anything more in terms or reliable redundancy). Have you tried
that? I sincerely believe this will be at least your short term answer.

As for getting the bug fixed, the number one way to make sure something gets
fixed is do to it yourself. Barring that, you will probably have to settle
for something that may not meet your deadlines. Certainly regularly
reporting the bug (with more and more information) will help your case.

You may wish to email Ingo Molnar, mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu, who is the
maintainer of the 0.90 raid code. Do realize, however, that he is very busy
and he has many responsibilities in other sections of the code as well.

tom