Re: Sys Admin question

Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:00:20 -0500 (CDT)

>On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 05:01:10PM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
>> Yes, memory accounting is per process. We don't have
>> (nor BSD has) a per *user* memory limit, although such
>> might be of what people like you would love to see.
>
>Per user limits sound like they're going to be fun. Either the limits
>overcommit resources which makes them rather useless or user processes
>are going to starve each other. Think of funnies like x11amp crashing
>your shell and more ...

Per user limits do not have to overcommit unless the total resources specified
is greater that what really exist.

Better to starve each other at the user level. If the user wants to overload
the system, at least the user is limited to his/her own processes.

And that is still better than crashing the system. (Besides, if you are
charging for usage, then you can make a case for more resources to upper
management, or the user must justify the load to upper management)