Re: SS-10 funky SCSI problems...

Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 14:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 14:01:38 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> To: Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: SS-10 funky SCSI problems...
>
> > is a pattern with it is well. It is our web server and it serves files that
> > are on another machine that it gets via NFS. When I try to write backups, it
> > hangs with the spin_lock_irq thing before I can ever finish a set of backups.
> > I have to boot a single CPU kernel on this to do backups.
>
> Interesting. I'm chasing an Alpha deadlock of some kind between NFS and
> kernel message logging.
>
> Alan

I don't know if this is related or not, under 2.2.10, I had no problems
with nfsd dying. Under 2.2.13, if I export a file system read only and try to
mount it read/write on a remote system, that kills it instantly, but even in
the absence of stupid operator tricks, it still dies after a while. This is
happening on a Sparc LX, not even an SMP environment. I've also got 2.2.13
running on a Pentium based system and it has been rock steady. No nfsd deaths
to date. The strange thing is there is no OOPS or other indication when it
dies, it just disappears silently.

I don't have the newest libs on this machine and I did kick the maximum
file descriptors up with 2.2.13, so don't know if that might be tickling some
bug in old libs.