Re: No boot woes continue 2.3.23-24

Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:41:40 -0500 (CDT)

Brian Capouch wrote:
> There have been a number of messages about this phenomenon since 2.3.23
> came out.
>
> The kernel builds fine. At load time, right after decompression there
> is an immediate BIOS-type reboot.

I'm in the same boat, and it's taking on water :-(. Short of hooking the
machine up to the logic analyzer I don't have, the "bad things" happen too
quickly to give a would-be detective any information other than what was
repeated above. No combination of gcc/binutils seems to make any difference.
Someone will probably suggest "broken hardware". They might even be correct,
but that won't fix the problem that didn't exist until we starting tinkering
with the boot code.

In that vein, pending a proper diagnosis and fix, I intend to try backing
out the suspect portions of the 2.3.22-2.3.23 patch set until I can get my
machine to boot. If I can identify the changes that cause the "no boot"
condition, maybe a workaround can be found.

--Bob
rct@wlk.com