Re: Wrong bogomips after plugging in AC power

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:51:07 -0600

Scott Marlowe writes:
> If we know the frequencies the amchine runs at in each mode, it's no big
> deal to find the new bogomips.

I don't think you can rely on there being a linear relationship
between clock speed and bogomips, even for the same machine. I recall
seeing a non-linear relationship on the Dell Inspiron 3200 when
suspend mode is pending (i.e. after you close the lid, but before the
kernel completes the suspend). While I didn't analyse it carefully, it
appeared that CPU speed and memory speeds varied by different factors.

Granted this was a special case (we don't care about bogomips when
suspending), it suggests that we should be careful before making the
assumption that APM will slow down the system in a simple fashion.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca