Re: Linux Buffer Cache Does Not Support Mirroring

Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:43:24 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Actually, if you guys would design something a littler newer than circa
> 1973 for your buffer cache design, things would be easier. The buffer
> cache acts this way becuase it is based on a PRIMITIVE design that's not
> far off from the textbook description found in "UNIX: a practical
> implementation." Novell was doing mirroring and distributed mirroring
> since about 1984. We are just trying to get linux closer to the 1990's.

Thanks not to invalidate that the mirroring at the power of 3 is possible.
;-)

Given the smileys and other technologies involved, you should not have
missed that I was joking about the absurdity of brain-deaded complexities
and redundancies we have to deal nowadays in I.T. due to legacies.

By the way, it happens that I ask me questions about 1990's software
technology being actually superior to 1970's one or just increase of
complexity.

Gérard.