RE: Perform minimal RAM test at boot

nathan.zook@amd.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:19:04 -0600

Two things. First, you don't want to detect memory this way. I'm told some
systems crash if you address memory which is not present. Note also that
the only way to test for memory's presence is to write to it & try to read
back. This destroys any data which might have been put there by the
bios.........

SUPPOSEDLY, the new ACPI SMAP (int 15-e820) reporting gives us a clean map
of memory. SUPPOSEDLY, we can just read it & use what it says. (Right now
we only do this in late versions of 2.3.x) The reports we are getting back
from mobile users, however, suggest that it ain't necessarily so...

Second, you didn't say what version of the kernel you are running, but I
suspect it is 2.2.x. Try disabling ACPI & see what Linux detects. If
you're lucky (i.e.: the bios guys did the right thing), Linux will detect
the right amount of memory. If not, you might try one of the later 2.3.x
kernels & see how it goes. If it doesn't work, the e820 report from "head
/var/log/dmesg" might help us see what is going on.

Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Bridgett [mailto:adrian.bridgett@iname.com]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 1999 2:59 PM
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Perform minimal RAM test at boot

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 00:33:25 +0200 (+0000), Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This trivial patch will add simple memory test at boot.
>
> Why? I have been bitten by non-working memory detection and stale
> mem=XXX option in lilo by 5 times now. Once, system even went to full
> multiuser and then corrupted disk like hell.

Why can't we use something similar to check memory sizes? I have a thinkpad
770X with 192MB and 2.2.13 only reports 64MB. If I tell linux that it has
192MB then it will crash - I need to tell it 191MB (or rather, the amount
that the machine displays on boot.

One other wierd thing happens on the TP. When I suspend the box, and then
unsuspend it, the sound stops working until I unload and reload the cs4232
module. Actually I've just found out that if I lower the CD volume in
"xmix" then the sound starts to work again.

Cheers

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. PGP key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux -*- because I'm allergic to Prozac -*- www.debian.org