Re: S3 Video Cards and VESAfb

David Taylor (dtaylor@nildram.co.uk)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:06:42 +0000

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

On Tue, 02 Nov 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

>=20
> doubtful, it is a pretty big (though useful) hack
>=20
> A framebuffer driver for Trios exists at
> http://www.hut.fi/~hmallat/linux/s3.html
>=20
> I hope to merge in PPC support and maybe Amiga support too from existing
> S3triofb and cyberfb drivers, so there is finally one unified driver.
>=20

Wow. Cool.

I had totally given up on getting a working framebuffer, what with my puny
old VESA 1.3 BIOS.. Yet i managed to get the spiffy boot logo :)

The only annoying thing is it occasionally 'stalls' for a second or two
(monitor drops into powersaving mode) when changing between VC's, before
coming back, leaving the following message in the syslog:

Nov 2 21:05:57 xfiles kernel: TRIO driver: Unsupported clock freq
-2147483648, using 25 Mhz

--=20
David Taylor
E-Mail: davidt@xfiles.nildram.co.uk.spam [Remove .spam]