Re: LOTS OF BAD STUFF in raid0: raid0145-19990824-2.2.11 is unstable

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:27:29 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, David Mansfield wrote:

> Well, I've never gotten a single SCSI error from the controller... not to
> mention that the block being requested is WAY beyond the end of the
> device. If this wasn't a RAID device, this would be one of the 'Attempt
> to access beyond end of device' errors that non-raid users have reported
> many times for the 2.2 series kernels.
>
> I have also gotten the error when not under any load, about once a month
> or so, but never with the alarming frequency of last night!

it's 99.99% a problem with the disk. The RAID0 code has not had any
significant changes (due to it's simplicity) in the last couple of years.
We never rule out software bugs, but this is one of those cases where it's
way, way down in the list of potential problem sources.

-- mingo