Re: LOTS OF BAD STUFF in raid0: raid0145-19990824-2.2.11 is unstable

P.A.M. van Dam (nucleus@ramoth.xs4all.nl)
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 20:40:08 +0100

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 03:44:47PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Easy setup
>
> raid0 of raid5s ...
>
> read:
>
> /dev/md0 raid0 /dev/md1 /dev/md2
> /dev/md1 raid5 scsi disks (tried with 6 and 3)
> /dev/md2 raid5 scsi disks (tried with 6 and 3)
>
> As soon as you initiate a "mke2fs /dev/md0" the machine
> hangs with "Got md request, not good" (md.c -> do_md_request())

Same here, but then with Mauelschagens LVM. An mkfs -t ext2 for the
first time (after bootup) on a striped LV will trigger the "Got LVM
request, not good" message (and accompanied by some "trying to ...
beyond end of device" messages). The second attempt will not generate
these messages.

I'm sorry, but I still have the strong belief that this isn't hardware
nor RAID (only) related. There must be some bug lurking, we have to
stamp out before we can take 2.4 seriously.

> I reproduced this with different hardware (machines, harddrives, scsi controllers etc - Even on sparc ...)

Ok. Does SMP be the common denominator in your test? Almost all reports
are with SMP machines.

> >From the manpage this is a feature which should work.

Best regards,

Pascal