Re: Modular vs. Monolithic kernel builds.

Stefan Traby (stefan@sime.com)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:59:47 +0100

Hi Riley !

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 04:21:02PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:

> > What additional overhead is there when a module gets called?
>
> That varies from driver to driver, but with some drivers, there can be
> a LOT of extra overhead if the driver isn't already in memory.

Hehe, not only.
It also depends on how many modules are already registered !
I've benchmarked it and if you have more than some 1000 modules
in the kernel (I tried it with dummy modules (insmod -o dummy1 dummy.o;
insmod -o dummy2 dummy.o)) then the insert is very slow because
of the linked-list and resolving design (insert can take some seconds
for a do nothing module).
But the module code it self looks extremely clever to me.

--

ciao - Stefan

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

Stefan Traby phone: +43-3133-6107-2 Mitterlasznitzstr. 13 fax: +43-3133-6107-9 8302 Nestelbach mailto://stefan@sime.com Austria http://homepage.sime.com/stefan