Re: ext3

Junichi Saito (j.saito@wanadoo.fr)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 21:39:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

>> During boot, the following messages are issued:
>> ext3: No journal on filesystem on 03:01
>> EXT3-fs: get root inode failed
>
>> Only /dev/hda9 has an ext3 fs on it, mounted as /usr/local/src. Why does
>> the kernel try to find an ext3 fs on 03:01 ? Is this a default behaviour ?
>
>Yes, that is normal.
>
>Linux usually knows in advance what type of filesystem is on a device:
>it looks it up in /etc/fstab. However, that is obviously not an
>option for a root filesystem, so when mounting root, the kernel just
>tries all the filesystem types it knows of in order.
>
>If you have ext3 compiled in, then the kernel tries to mount the root
>as ext3 first of all. If root is only running as ext2, then ext3

Indeed, I compiled ext3 support in the kernel. I so tried to recompile the
kernel 2.2.12 with ext3 as module as I preferred not seeing negative
messages and got the followning:

kernel/kernel.o(__ksymtab+0x4d0): undefined reference to
`jfs_prelock_buffer_check'
kernel/kernel.o(__ksymtab+0x4d8): undefined reference to
`jfs_preclean_buffer_check'
fs/fs.o: In function `refile_buffer':
fs/fs.o(.text+0x3471): undefined reference to `journal_remove_checkpoint'
drivers/block/block.a(ll_rw_blk.o): In function `add_request':
ll_rw_blk.o(.text+0x4b9): undefined reference to
`jfs_preclean_buffer_check'
drivers/block/block.a(ll_rw_blk.o): In function `make_request':
ll_rw_blk.o(.text+0x637): undefined reference to
`jfs_prelock_buffer_check'
ll_rw_blk.o(.text+0xad6): undefined reference to
`jfs_preclean_buffer_check'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

I used 'make menuconfig'. There is a choice for module. The module support
hasn't been implemented yet ?