Re: MPS version

Barrie Spence (baz@sqf.hp.com)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:13:48 +0000

Jasper Spaans wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Just a quick thingy, it might be worth entering this into some FAQ:
>
> When using a Gigabyte BXD [SMP] motherboard, make sure your bios setup is
> configured to use MPS version 1.1, and not 1.4 !!!

Only if you want USB and don't have the very latest and greatest bios.

> This little change caused my USB driver to start working fast again (my
> printer was suffering from a data underflow), and my soundcard, based on an
> es1370, stopped generating quazillions of interrupts per second..
>
> What is disturbing: this isn't discussed anywhere near the kernel-source,
> I'd have expected some witty comments on this, but well, it seems to work
> again -- or is someone busy implementing the MPS 1.4 specs into the kernel?

MPS 1.4 is already there. The BXD BIOS is just buggy (as is discussed
very
frequently in the Gigabyte newsgroup).

Interestingly enough, the kernel reports the 1.4 bios setting as 1.1,
but
it does utilise the extended IO-APIC interrupts correctly.

Barrie

--
Barrie Spence (313-2465)                Agilent Technologies UK Ltd
E-Mail:   baz@sqf.hp.com                South Queensferry, UK