Re: devfs v136, ZIP disks and glibc-2.1.2

Thorsten Kukuk (kukuk@suse.de)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:50:58 +0100

On Tue, Nov 09, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> I think the following change to glibc was a mistake:
>
> 1999-07-07 Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
>
> * sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/getpt.c: Check that /dev/pts is mounted.
> (_PATH_DEVPTS, DEVPTS_SUPER_MAGIC): New definitions.
> (_PATH_DEVPTMX): Use _PATH_DEV.
>
> Just as with the BSD pty's it is the job of the system administrator
> to make sure that the nodes for the Unix98 pty slaves exist in the
> filesystem. This can be done by several means. The canonical way is

I think you haven't read all the postings in the news about people complainig
that xterm or ssh or whatever doesn't work, because they have removed the
/dev/pts entry from fstab ?
In a perfect Linux world, everbody knows what he is doing and is a perfect
unix system administrator. In the real world, a lot of people doesn't know
anything about Unix. They think, I don't know what /dev/pts is, so I don't
need it and I can remove it.
We also have to think on this people,not only on hacker, developer and
admins.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg