Re: PATCH 2.3.26: kmalloc GFP_ZERO

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:36:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

>If you have 100% CPU load, you don't do background zeroing and you
>fallback to old zero-after-alloc.

When I have to wait my CPUs are _always_ busy at 100%. (note even if the
disk is dogslow)

When the time is I/O dominated the memcpy is too little to make real
timing differences I think.

But my point is that if you would rework userspace to take the CPU busy
instead of optimizing the CPU-idle case you'll end waiting less time (and
as I am careful to take userspace smart and the CPU busy, I'd like to
continue waiting less time as now ;).

That's my point of view at least.

Andrea