Re: [2.2] Network Interface aliasing

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:04:48 -0900 (AKST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > If this has changed in 2.2.x, and the kernel flags wrong MAC
> > addr packets before passing them to the IP layer great.
>
> Both later 2.0 and all 2.2 handle this correctly and do checking in software
> for PROMISC devices. It was a bug.

Ok, I will go for this (nice to know it is fixed now). IIRC
the last time I ran a specific test of this behav was ~ 2.0.28 or so.

> That isnt a catchall however. It is legal to have a single MAC per machine
> with multiple interfaces (eg some Sun systems). This does wonderful
> wonderful things to switches 8)

Hmm, switch, VLAN support, host multihomed across VLANS an
said switch... Now where did we put than MAC routing table again? ;-)

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.