Re: [2.2] Network Interface aliasing

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:06:48 -0900 (AKST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > If this has changed in 2.2.x, and the kernel flags wrong MAC
> > addr packets before passing them to the IP layer great.
>
> Yes, IP in 2.2 really does not accept datagrams destined to another hosts
> on MAC level. But it is _not_ a bug fix, it is just optimization to reduce
> work on hosts monitoring network in promiscuous mode.
>
> Nobody prohibited us to accept such frames locally, we must not
> forward them, but we may accept them locally. The decision is made
> on IP level and by IP address, MAC level details are inessential.
> If you have duplicate IP addresses, it is bug in administration,
> rather than in linux-2.0 kernel.
>
> Alexey Kuznetsov

Except in interesting setups for load sharing and some types
of failover where the new method is required, or you cannot function
correctly (should promisc get kicked on anyway).

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
--About the Internet and nuclear war.