Re: Reiserfs licencing - possible GPL conflict?

Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:33:26 -0700

Greg,

This is pretty simple from a "BUSINESS" perspective, and you can figure
it out with 8th grade math. Netware has 9,000,000 installed servers, of
which IDC (analysts) have stated that 17% are going to Linux, and 83%
are going to Windows 2000 over the next two years. Perhaps we should
just stick our heads in the sand, and let Microsoft take all the Netware
servers for upgrades? Pretty dumb, huh?
I'm doing NWFS as both a replacement file system for Linux, and to
position Linux to devour Novell's installed base. It's primary use will
be to allow customers to effortlessly upgrage Netware systems to Linux.
We are even writing in-place conversion software that will convert NWFS
into EXT2 on-disk formats (getting the picture now). Not to mention
that if you want to use the thing as a native linux file system, you get
mirroring, striping, failover, and mulitple namespace support for every
computer system on the planet in a consolidated set of utilities and
file system without needing end users to have a degree in astrophysics
to configue raid drivers, etc.

Personally, I think the ReiserFS concepts are really cool, and very
clever, and I like their approach, but it isn't bringing over a huge
installed base to Linux.

Wake up, dude!

Jeff