Re: Access beyond end of device

Mark Hagger (mhagger@dera.gov.uk)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:02:58 +0000

Jim,

I guess I should have mentioned it in the earlier email, I'm using SCSI drives,
there are no IDE devices on my machines, in fact I did once try removing all IDE
support from the kernel just to see, but this made no difference.

As Alan Cox once pointed out this problem seems to be caused by a number of
different and unrelated issues, some IDE, some hardware, some SMP, some
"something else".

Since I'm not a great believer in coincidences I found it hard to credit that
the fact that I had reformated my drives and the problem went away (albeit
maybe only temperarily) was a fluke.

Mark