[OT] Re: Reiserfs licencing - possible GPL conflict?

Greg Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:29:10 -0500

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Greg,
>
> This is pretty simple from a "BUSINESS" perspective, and you can figure
> it out with 8th grade math. Netware has 9,000,000 installed servers, of
> which IDC (analysts) have stated that 17% are going to Linux, and 83%
> are going to Windows 2000 over the next two years. Perhaps we should
> just stick our heads in the sand, and let Microsoft take all the Netware
> servers for upgrades? Pretty dumb, huh?
> I'm doing NWFS as both a replacement file system for Linux, and to
> position Linux to devour Novell's installed base. It's primary use will
> be to allow customers to effortlessly upgrage Netware systems to Linux.
> We are even writing in-place conversion software that will convert NWFS
> into EXT2 on-disk formats (getting the picture now). Not to mention
> that if you want to use the thing as a native linux file system, you get
> mirroring, striping, failover, and mulitple namespace support for every
> computer system on the planet in a consolidated set of utilities and
> file system without needing end users to have a degree in astrophysics
> to configue raid drivers, etc.

Thanks for the very level headed responce, it makes me look like a fool.
Thats okay, I deserve it. :)

> Personally, I think the ReiserFS concepts are really cool, and very
> clever, and I like their approach, but it isn't bringing over a huge
> installed base to Linux.

I still think you were quick to fud the license. :)

> Wake up, dude!

Yea yea.. I'm sorry. Consider me awake for the monment.