Re: disk corruptions on "tuned" disks Was: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard

Benno Senoner (sbenno@gardena.net)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 02:35:40 +0100

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:
> > It would be nice if we could collect some data about problematic
> > drives / mainboards.
> > Alan any know drives ?
> > ( If I get some data I will write a little tool which automates this)
>
> VIA VP3/MVP3/MVP4 chipets.

thanks, but what is the exact problem source , DMA or unmask IRQ ?

> Put any CDROM/DVD in DMA mode and it will work
> for a while and then eventually lock the PC up. This is a hardware flaw.

Doh ! really bad news :-(
What about watching DVDs ?
I'm watching DVDs on windoze using a software-only player,
and without DMA you get nast frameskips ,because the PIO
transfer uses too much CPU.
I'm watching DVDs for hours ( DMA enabled) without any lockups.

But are you sure that every ATAPI CDROM drive on the planet
has this hardware flaw.
I stressed my CDROM drives quite a bit, and was unable to lock up the box.

> There is no known software workaround. This is not the ISA DMA bug either.
> This is a completely different bug.

Interesting, any pointers for more accurate infos on this topics ?

How is this handled my other OSes ?

> Promise Ultra66. No DMA on CDROM/DVDs. It just wont work. At all.
>
> -Dan

PS: why should recent ATAPI CDROM let you set the DMA mode, when they
know that it could lead to problems ?

regards,
Benno.