Re: linux interrupt handling problem

tytso@mit.edu (kernel@kvack.org)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:44:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > dropping characters, the effect was caused by the console driver or xterm
> > + minicom combination. Using cat on /dev/ttyS1 resulted in a steady and
> > uninterrupted stream of data. Which leads me to wonder: does X disable
> > interrupts?
>
> Except for clock programming on a few boards, no.
>
> However a lot of bus arbitrators on PC let PCI bus stomp ISA/internal stuff
> indefinitely. Thus a big video copy will make audio stutter and annoy serial
> ports

Alas, that doesn't explain the minicom on console problem. It's almost as
if something in the tty subsystem is leading to single threaded behaviour
for all ttys. Looking through the serial driver, it's still using the
global irq lock all over the place, plus such things as doing a
cli()/sti() pair around memcpy()s in rs_write. EEEEK! TTY_DONT_FLIP gets
set while doing put_users....

Anybody want to start chatting about tty overhauls? =)

-ben (who thinks most line
disciplines belong in
userspace)