Re: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 18:01:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>>> As far as I know, Chkdsk, the FS-specific checking DLLs, etc... are all
>>> user mode code. I don't know what mechanism Jeff is referring to re: auto
>>> invoking chkdsk on volume mounts, so I can't say how that's accomplished
>>> (probably makes a callback to user mode to invoke the utilities).
>>>
>>> -mike
>>>

>> Windows, here, both 95 and NT just do a chkdsk upon startup. Windows
>> doesn't have the notion of "mount". Maybe Win-2000 will have, but
>> nothing I've seen yet does.
>
>What you are saying ? OF COURSE 9X & NT HAS mount syscall. There are no
>mount utility, it's right, but mount syscall is there. And it will return
>to you is chkdsk/scandisk is needed (that is driver was not unmounted cleanly).
>Just like in Linux. The only difference is that you can mount something only
>on drive letter and not in directory...

Actually, from what I was just reading about Windows 2000,
Microsoft is adding a new innovative feature that they single
handedly came up with that allows you to "splice" a filesystem
onto a directory point.

I read that the reason was to do away with drive letters. So,
hats off to Microsoft for inventing this new concept of
"splicing" filesystems onto directories.

;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org