Re: linuxppc modular sound patch

brandon (casey@eecs.tulane.edu)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:52:48 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, brandon wrote:

> this patch fixes the problem that i emailed the list a couple
> of days ago about.
>
> when i tried to insmod dmasound.o it gave me the following error:
> dmasound.o: unresolved symbol machine_is_compatible

sorry, assuming that my previous email with patch was the correct thing
to do, there must be another bug that has to do with dynamically
allocating interrupts.

my patch made it possible to load dmasound.o, but when you unload it, the
next time you load it it gave this error:
kernel: DMA sound driver: Interrupt initialization failed
followed by a kernel panic, complete lock up

either my patch was right and there is a bug, or dmasound is not meant to
be a module, in which case the module option in the kernel config should
be disabled.

there was an oops output, i didn't get to copy the whole thing down
because the mac rebooted after 180 seconds(and i couldn't find a pen
and paper for the life of me), but i can try again if anyone's interested.

-brandon