Re: Userspace filesystem implementation for loopback devices only

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 19:05:25 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Hans de Goede wrote:

> >On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Rob Landley wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >> (Personally, I think the fact there's a patch to get Linux to read a
> >> commodore 64 disk image is cool. I'm still trying to figure out how to
> >> loopback mount a *.zip file (read only would be fine)... Doesn't have
> >> the linear seek problems of a *.tgz file, you know (not between files,
> >> anyway. Within a file, maybe...))
> >
> >That'd require double loopback, as the 64-disk image itself requires
> >loopback mounting... Don't even think of asking me how to do it. But I bet
> >it'd be easier if you had it .gz instead of .zip...
>

> I don't think that the cmbfs code will ever become part of the
> mainstream kernel since it isn't usefull enough to most people to
> justify the maintainance work. Besides that it can only be used ona
> loopbackdevice afaik, so it could all be done with something like
> cbmmounttools.

Well, I won't argue the use, but I maintain the filesystem, and as long as
I stick to Linux, I intend to continue doing so...

No, it's not only for the loopback device. It can mount 1581 disks as
well, using the normal 3.5" floppy drive. You can also copy a
.d64/.d71/.d81 disk image onto a floppy and mount it that way. (Of course,
the loopback device is better than that solution, but if you don't want
to use the loopback device, you don't have to...)

This, which I consider is the primary advantage of cbmfs (mounting of
1581-floppies, that is), makes the idea of using a user-fs quite
useless.)

[lots of interesting ideas concerning a userfs, with examples, snipped]

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </