Re: 2.3.27 unable to boot, 2.2.13 okay, and disk problem

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:48:18 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Tom Sightler wrote:

> As far as I can find the Thinkpad 720 is an MCA based machine and the
> integrated controller are the old IBM ESDI variety, not IDE. You need to
> compile a kernel with MCA Support slected and the with PS/2 ESDI hard disk
> support and you should be able to get it to find a drive. For more
> information on Linux and the Thinkpad 720 see the MCA Linux homepage at
> www.dgmicro.com/mca although it appears to be down a the moment, a quick
> look on www.google.com for Linux, Thinkpad, 720 will give you the cached
> pages.
>
> As for the problem with 2.3.27 not booting, all of my MCA machines fail to
> boot at the same spot with 2.3.27-28 as well, 2.3.26 still boots but reports
> the following:
>
> Memory: 14476k/16384k available (0k kernel code, 0k reserved, 0k data, 0k
> init)

Oh, ignore those...

> And while it boots up to a login things are VERY slow with tons of paging
> and eventually the VM starts killing everything off, I was lucky to get it
> shut down.
>
> 2.3.18 does not have this problem but 2.3.23 does. Looking back through the
> code there are a lot of changes to the bootmem code so I'm guessing these
> changes broke MCA. I haven't had time to look at it further but hope to
> soon if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Does any of your MCA machines have SCSI? I can't get the IBMMCA
SCSI-driver to work properly using kernels v2.3.23 and newer; they just
panic. It might only be the integrated SCSI-adapters that are affected,
I'd be very glad to get some more information on this.

v2.3.22 works fairly ok (oops:ed on me on shutdown), v2.3.21 seemed
stable as a rock for the period I tried it.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </